Sunday, April 5, 2009

Could somebody please tell me...

....how to phonetically pronounce cruiniu??? Its really been bugging me - I want to be able to say it correctly!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to, but what is it? I would pronounce it "Croo-ee-nee-oo".

Michaela said...

I see that your phonics has come in handy...
...wait! What is it??? You mean you weren't invited to the cruiniu? o_O Kamon told me there was going to be a cruniniu in Tennessee, and THIS is supposed to be the official blog! o_O
(just to prove I'm not crazy, look at the post with the pictures about the facility. Kamon mentioned the word "cruninu" in it [from what I've heard, its Gaelic for "gathering."] ;) )

...um...Kamon, I think we need an explanation here! ;)

Anonymous said...

Aha! I forgot about Kamon naming it that. :oops: Since the word is Irish Gaelic, I have no idea how it's pronounced. (Gaelic isn't known for making much sense phonetically.)

Odin said...

Krin-we? never seen the word before. :P

Michaela said...

Kim! :D Are you going to be in TN? It will be great to see you again!

Kamon TCV said...

:Irish accent:

Part of me Irish heritage to play tricks on the bonnie lads and lassies.

Cruinniu (with two N's) is plenty hard to pronounce unless you look for an irish Dict.

Have fun.

Michaela said...

Ok Kamon, I've done some homework...and this is what I've concluded.

CRUINNIU

C is like "k"
R is "r" (rolled)
U is like "shoe"
I is like "knee"
N is "n"
N is "n"
I is like "knee"
U is like "shoe"

So! Its quite simple...
Crrrshoekneennkneeshoe!

There. :P

Now - seriously!
Crrr-oo-ee-n-ee-oo
(don't forget to roll your r!)

How'd I do???

Michaela said...

HOLD IT! :D That was completely wrong!...I think...

ui is "miss"

So, in that case...

CRUINNIU

Crrr-i-nn-ee-oo

Again, don't forget to roll your r! :D