- Bedding--- sleeping bac=gs/sheets and blankets… pillows,etc…
- Towels, washclothes
- alarm clocks
- extension cords---Last year there was only 1 pair of outlets for ever y 4 bunks or so
- shampoo, conditioner, soap
- Hand mirrors, blow dryers--- last year there were 5 mirrors for 35 ladies--- try to imagine this ;) !!!
- Everything you will need for the dances
- Place for dirty clothes and a bucket for toilettries--- it really helped last year to have these … there's not a lot of room so staying organized helps a lot!
- Irons and ironing boards--- if a few people could offer to bring these that would be great!
- Flashlights, bug spray, sunscreen, etc…
- Baseball gloves, balls, and bats
- Frisbees
- Footballs
- Volleyballs
- Instruments if you have them for the jam session
- Expect NOT to have a cell phone signal we will be in the foothills and they are rare there
- Swimsuits
- Hiking clothes….. Tennessee has a ton of seed ticks that are hard to see and will crawl all over you…. Because of this we had some of the people who flew in last year that couldn't take some of there clothes home because they had seed ticks on them and couldn't put them back in their luggage so we would suggest bringing some kind of sealed back to put them into so you can pack them!
Monday, April 19, 2010
General Packing List
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
Should we plan to wear long pants when hiking due to the tick situation?
Maybe. ;) I am not a hiker sooooooo you might want to ask Kamon or Josh! Plus I have never been to this camp and neither has Josh because we are both from out of state soooo you might ask Kamon :D
Long pants, socks over the top and double sided tape around your socks... or hip boots... or you could just stay out of the woods like me! LOL
Amen Heather!!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually, wearing pants and socks makes no difference to the ticks. In fact, long pants would be worse in a way b/c there's more fabric for thhem to hide in and if they're crawling up the inside of your pantleg you can't exactly get to them easily ;) Also, if they get in your socks (I'm thinking seed ticks here especially) they are very hard to get out... though running them through the washing machine usually does the trick ;)
so my suggestion is wear whatever is most comfortable for you to hike in, bring a roll of masking tape in case of a tick infestation, and keep your eye out for ticks as you hike. You can also try using bug-repellant that is good for ticks too, but my experience is they'll just look for a spot you missed. they love "foreign" blood, it seems :P
Any other tick-related questions? lol
Oh, BTW for the tick-paranoid... if it makes you feel better, I can ask mom if I can bring our tick-off (tick-pulling doohicky)... it's a little quicker than using your fingers to pull them out and as long as you do it right you're more likely to get the head ;) Really guys (or should I say GIRLS :P ), being bitten by a tick isn't the worst thing in the world that can happen... says one who's been bitten an uncountable number of times. As long as you get them out quick and get their heads out you've got no worries ;) (been there, done that. I survived. Tick stories anywone? j/k :P )
But the tick bites do tend to itch for the next three months it seems. :P
I googled seed ticks and it said you can use duct tape to remove them from your skin because they don't hold on as well as other types of ticks. Is that what the masking tape is for, Linnae?
*Jumps up and waves hand*
I have a tick story, Linnae! :P
LOL! And yes, I survived too!
*sigh of relief*
Allison, I love to joke around about the "Attack of the Seed Ticks" last year but Linnae is right. It really wasn't so bad (I was one of the unfortunate tick victims last year -- LOL! -- so I'm speaking from experience!). This year, I look forward to hiking in the woods again! :D
...So long as there are no bears, mosquitos, or 'coons!!! :P ;)
LOL Julie! Well, I guess the ticks can't be that bad if one of the victims from last year wants to go hiking again! :P
Yes, Allison. We use masking tape b/c it's usually more readily available around here and a little more manageable since it's not as sticky as duct tape :P But anything sticky will work. I've used chewing gum in a pinch :P (though it's not usually big enough LOL ) Other types of ticks will come off with tape, too if they aren't burrowed in thoroughly (or atall) ;)
IMO the biggest problem with seed ticks is when you don't catch them soon enough and they crawl up your body... then they're harder to spot (on several levels) lol And yeah, they itch like crazy for a few days but as long as you don't scratch them you'll be fine. And may I reiterate, DO NOT scratch them if you can at all help it. That makes them worse and increases your risk of infection/disease ;)
Was this little convo supposed to encourage us all to go hiking with you?
EPIC FAIL
:D
no Heather we're just weedin' out the fainthearted ;) :P
You goofette's. :P
I have worked out of doors. Since January I might have picked up a dozen ticks that would be pushing it.
They are just bugs. Pick them off as you would any other insect. The more vibrant your skins health the better you'll be. Eat a garlic clover before you go hiking. They hate that. All and all insect run off frequencies. Keep a healthy one and they typically leave you alone.
true, Kamon. They aren't nearly as bad this year as they were last year (not here anyway) ;)
Post a Comment